They are in order from regretful to most regretful:
3. cordless phone
During my college years, I went to visit a friend at a school in Minnesota. After a very long night of drinking at a local bar with her and some other friends, we called for a taxi from a public pay phone. Over an hour had passed and still no taxi had arrived. Conversation came to a lull, and we were tired and bored. I began fiddling through my purse just so that I could have something to do instead of just sitting there. My friend saw this tiny little pocket scissor in my purse and started to make fun of it. She asked, "what could you possibly cut with this dinky dull little scissor?" It was tiny, about 2 inches in length. She continued to poke fun of it. And after having quite a few drinks that night, I felt that I had to defend my pocket scissor. So, I told her that it could cut lots of things: besides paper, it could cut cardboard, plastic, and any cloth material. Of course, I had never tried cutting any of those things with those scissors. Defending the little scissor just made her laugh even more. I grew more irritated, so I said, "watch, I can cut this metal and wire." And I began to cut the wire cord that connected the receiver to the public phone. No, they were not impressed. And they were not amused. All I heard was, "oh, great, now we can't even call back the cab company to find out when our taxi is coming." Guilt, shame and embarrassment came over me. I've never destroyed public property before that moment, or ever since then. In the current world of iphones and blackberrys, it's a rarity that you see a public phone these days, which is a good thing, so I'm not reminded of that dumb moment very often.
2. paper trail, paper chase
So, here's the story. My acupuncturist's office is in a very large mix-use building: condos for the old and rich, doctor's offices, grocery store, restaurant, and many other little shops. The ladies room is on the first floor, along a very very long hallway with a few little stores situated on each side of the hallway. One afternoon, right before my appointment, I was in the washroom and had walked out of a bathroom stall. As I approached the sink with my hands stretched out ready to wash, I stopped in my tracks. I saw a woman drying her hands by the paper towel dispenser. She had a trail of toilet paper coming out of her pants. The paper trailed out of her pants and reached about halfway down the back of her thigh. At the same time, another woman came out of a stall and gave me a strange look because I was just standing there and she was probably thinking, "eeew gross, she's one of those who doesn't wash her hands afterwards." The woman with the paper trail was headed for the door. I was torn - do I walk away from the sink and approach the paper trail lady to let her know? But if I walked away from the sink without washing, I would be stigmatized as one of those people. Ahhhhhhh, need to make a decision. (Mind you, all of this is occurring within seconds. And I am a slow decision maker. It takes me many minutes of contemplation to decide between very fine, fine or medium point when purchasing a ballpoint pen). So, I quickly washed my hands, grabbed a paper towel and hoped that I would catch the woman and quietly tell her about her paper trail. I opened the door and looked both directions to figure out which way she went. She had made it half way down that long long hallway. She was walking fast, which made that little white tail of hers wag back and forth in the air. Ahhhhhhh, how am I going to catch her in my darn 3 ½" wedge sandals? And so the paper chase began. I took off and walked/ran as best as I could in my wedges. I got lots of crazy looks for trying to run in those heels. All of a sudden, I lost sight of the paper trail lady. She had turned the corner by the elevators. I finally made it around the corner and was hoping she was standing there, alone, waiting for an elevator. But no. There was no paper trail lady in sight. She either made it out the doors into the city streets or she was on an elevator. I just hoped she was in the elevator and caught a reflection of her white tail in the mirrored walls of the elevator. I know karma is coming to get me and that is why I will always double and triple check my rear in the mirror before I leave a washroom.
I am not the most patient driver out there. Yes, I admit I will tailgate people at times and I will weave in and out of traffic lanes. One time I even had a man drive up next to me and with a kind concerned face, he slowly lowered his hand to signal me to slow down my driving. Well, what I'm about to tell you is not one of my best moments. This happened quite a few years ago and I still remember it well and still feel sad and regretful.
No comments:
Post a Comment