Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hee Haw, but no Coco Chanel



A rainy flooded Saturday is keeping me in tonight. All week, I've been cringing every time I see that commercial of Shirley MacLaine portraying Coco Chanel in another awful Lifetime movie. It's on right now and I could only stand a glance of it. Shirley MacLaine, Steel Magnolia Ouiser, as Coco Chanel, revolutionary goddess of french couture? Shirley MacLaine is more suited to portray Minnie Pearl on Hee Haw days than Coco Chanel. Couldn't Lifetime make somewhat of an effort casting Coco Chanel with more of a convincing and not so quintessential American accented actor? I understand Lifetime would never be able to entice the likes of Juliette Binoche or Audrey Tautou but how about Carole Bouquet? (okay, I know Carole Bouquet wouldn't even appear on Lifetime either, but how about anyone who would portray some authenticity.) For such a big production any thought or effort, Lifetime? I know they think having an Oscar-winning actress would draw in viewers. Hmm, well-known actor creating a bad movie or lesser-known actor creating a good movie. Yes, we know what you chose Lifetime. Blasphemy I say.

No comments: